We cooked this last night and it was so yummy - one of the best meals we've cooked for ages.
- In casserole dish, add a small bit of butter and olive oil.
- Add in a pack of lardons (chopped bacon bits).
- Then sear all sides of the pheasant (about 1 minute per side) in the casserole containing the lardons, until the skin the pheasant is golden brown.
- Add in 700mls (1.5pints) of chicken stock, 6 shallots, a dash of red wine and 2 bayleafs.
- Season with black pepper- no need to add salt as the lardons and chicken stock will have plenty.
- Put lid on casserole and place in oven at 180 degrees C for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven after an hour and add about 10 unsliced mushrooms and place back in oven for a further 30 minutes.
- Then remove from oven again, and remove pheasant from casserole dish, placing it on a carving board.
- Add 3 tablespoons of red current jelly and 1.5 tablespoons of cornflour to the sauce to thicken it up.
- We also baked potatoes and cooked red cabbage with it.
- Oh my god, it was just so yummy.
- Thanks so much to my wonderful mum Eleanor!